Monday, March 7, 2011

Understanding Pedigrees

So we took a in Biology about Pedigrees. Well I don't think I did so good.(I know I never do good on biology quizzes! I can hear Mr. Ludwig chuckling right now) After not doing so well I think I need to prove that I did learn about Pedigrees and family diseases. I did this blog to try and help bring my grade up a little.

To me Pedigrees look like family trees. Well...thats basically what they are. The official description is pedigrees are used to show family histories of certain diseases. The three ways diseases can be passed through a family are:
  • Autosomal Dominant
  • Autosomal Recessive
  • Sex Linked
So to show that I do know about Pedigrees I logged back on to my quiz and took the Pedigrees we had to interpret during our quiz.




Autosomal dominant means that one parent has a gene with the disease and the other parent doesn't. The chance that each child will get this disease is 50-50. If there is an infected person then that means one of their parents was infected also. Autosomal dominant diseases show up in every generation. Males and females are each likely to be infected.
The question in the quiz about this pedigree was:
          What kind of inheritance pattern is demonstrated in this pedigree? How do you know? Give an example of a human disease that is inherited this way.
                My answer was partially right. I said it was autosomal dominant. I knew this because the disease did not skip a generation. I had no idea about what diseases could be inherited this way though. Now I found out that some diseases that are dominant are Tuberous Sclerosis, Myotonic Dystrophy, Huntington's disease, Achondroplasia, and Neurofibromatosis.
Another Autosomal Dominant Pedigree:





Autosomal recessive disease means that two copies of an abnormal gene must be present for a disease to be passed on. This gives each child, born to parents that each have an autosomal recessive gene, a 25% chance risk of being infected with the disease. There is a 50% chance of a child inheriting one abnormal gene, which would make the child a carrier. (FACT: The child that is born with to abnormal genes does not mean they will be infected with the gene. It means they have a risk of being infected.) Both sexes are equally affected.
The question on the quiz was the same as the first question. Again I got the first part right in saying that this pedigree is autosomal recessive. I know this because the disease skips a generation. On this one I still didn't know any diseases. Now I know that some autosomal recessive diseases are cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, Tay Sachs disease, and gaucher disease.
Another Autosomal Recessive Pedigree:






Sex Linked can also be described as X linked. This refers to very few recessive genes that reside on the X chromosome. Men are mainly affected by sex linked diseases. If a father has a disease he will pass it on to his daughter. The daughter then becomes a carrier. Her sons have a 50% chance of getting the disease.
 


The question on the quiz was the same as the first two. Except my answer was autosomal recessive, when it actually is Sex Linked. I still didn't know and diseases. Now I know some Sex Linked diseases are color blindness, Hunter's disease, Fabry's disease, and menkes disease.
Another example of a Sex Linked Pedigree:




Well I have learned a lot about Pedigrees and I hope this shows it! Stay tuned for a blog about Eugenics! It is coming I promise! hahah

2 comments:

  1. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time and thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something ignorant though,I found it pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,psoriasis,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility,Tach Disease ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Autism,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, (measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.Lung Cancer, Leukemia Lymphoma Cancer,Lung Mesothelioma Asbestos,
    Ovarian Cervical Uterine Cancer,
    Skin Cancer, Brain Tumor, ,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,Lupus,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffering from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Email. ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete